12 Easy to grow nutritious container varieties for sowing or harvesting every month of the year to help feed your family, including varieties for preserving or storing over winter.
With full instructions and a sowing/harvesting plan included inside, this kit is aimed at both the absolute beginner or allotmenteer and makes a great gift. Save £7.41 off the regular price.
Everything you need to help feed your family for a year with:
- Varieties that are straight forward or easy to grow
- Varieties that can be grown in containers or in the ground.
- Varieties for sowing and harvesting all year
- Varieties that grow quickly or have good storing properties
- Varieties with good nutritional value that can be eaten raw or cooked
- Varieties that can be sown in succession for continuous crops
- Varieties that can be grown without special equipment
- Carrot Short – Easy to grow even in heavy soil. Stagger sowing. Eat fresh, freeze, juice. High in fibre and Vit K, Potassium and antioxidants. Sow Mar – Jul 1cm depth Harvest till Sep
- Lambs Lettuce (Corn Salad) – Easy to grow, resists the cold. Nutritional. Good source of beta carotine and Vit A. Sow Feb-May and Jul to Sep 1cm depth Harvest May-Aug and Sep to Dec
- Spinach – 4 harvests possible per year. Full of Iron, minerals, Vit C and K. Sow Feb-May and Aug to Oct 2cm depth Harvest May-Jul and Sep to Dec
- Broad Beans – 2 Harvests per year. Dry or eat fresh. no saturated fat or cholesterol and contain a high concentration of thiamin, vitamin K, vitamin B-6, potassium, copper, selenium, zinc and magnesium.. Sow Feb-May and Sep to Nov 2cm depth Harvest in Summer and Spring respectively
- Cut-and-come-again Lettuce – sow every 3 weeks for continuous harvest till first frosts. Calcium, potassium, Vit C and folate. Sow Mar – Sep 1cm depth Harvest May till Nov
- Broccoletti – fast growing brocoletti, healthy and easy to grow. Vit K and C, folic acid and fibre. Sow May-Aug 1cm depth Harvest late Summer and Autumn
- Kale – Completely winter hardy. Steam, boil, use in stews or soups. Sow May to Jul 1cm depth Harvest through the winter
- Pea Dwarf – Two harvests, nutritional, can be dried or frozen. As a source of vitamin K, manganese, thiamin,copper, vitamin C, phosphorous, and folate, green peas offer a remarkable nutrition profile. Sow Feb-Apr and Sep-Nov 2cm depth Harvest late Summer and Spring respectively
- Borlotto bean Dwarf – Shell and either dry or freeze. Use in stews, soups, casseroles. Very high potassium content. Sow Mar-Jun 2cm depth Harvest late Summer
- French bean – Easy to grow. Beans mature at same time at same length so ideal for freezing. vitamins C and A, and minerals including iron, calcium and magnesium. Sow Mar-Jun 2cm depth Harvest late Summer
- Bush Tomato – Source of vitamins and antioxidents. Can be dried or frozen or made in to sauces. Sow Spring 1cm depth Harvest Summer
- Pumpkin – Can be stored through winter. Small culinary variety. The edible flowers are delicious in omelettes once the crown has been removed. Contains Vit A and antioxidants. Sow Mar-Jun Harvest Summer and Autumn
It is very easy to over complicate growing veg. Plant them at the proper time and depth one fist apart in dirt and water them when dry.
You can grow them in garden soil or buy grow bags from your garden centre which are not expensive.
Try and plant them all in at least 60% sun, the tomato 75%.
SPRING - SOW Carrot, Lambs Lettuce, Lettuce, French bean, Tomato, Spinach, Pumpkin, Pea, Broad Bean, Borlotto bean.
Summer -SOW Carrot, Lettuce, Kale, French bean, Broccoli, Borlotto bean.
Autumn/Winter - SOW Lambs Lettuce, Spinach, Pea, Broad Bean.
Harvest all year. In a protected space like a greenhouse or balcony you might be able to extend seasons. Performance subject to conditions.